Release Notes - Alfred v2.0
New Features in 2.5 (June 1997)
- allows an alfred "superuser" to access any dispatcher via
the web browser interface.
- provides a global (site) activity snapshot by querying all
running dispatchers for the state of their current jobs.
- password protected via shared encrypted file.
See the configuration notes for more details.
Fallback maitre-d list
- for sites requiring increased fault-tolerance in the maitre-d.
- the 'maitredHost' specification in alfred.ini can now be a list
of host names; list order implies preference, highest to lowest.
- administrator starts a maitre-d on each named host
- dispatchers and nimbies connect to the highest ranking available
host on start-up.
- if the current maitre-d disconnects (host crashes, etc), all
activity moves to the next one; the current state is reconstructed
based on messages from reconnecting dispatchers and nimbies.
- if a higher ranking maitre-d is restarted, it causes dispatcher and
nimby connections to be broken with the current secondary maitre-d
and to be reestablished with itself.
- a cgi (perl) script is provided with the release which can be
used to dynamically determine the current maitre-d (and redirect
http connections to it).
See the configuration notes.
init.d/rc2 auto-restart features
- a set of scripts are provided with the release which can be
installed to automatically restart some of the important alfred
components when a host reboots.
- the maitre-d can be started, as a specified user
- the nrmserver can be started, as a specified user
- dispatchers can be restarted for each user with checkpointed jobs
- see the configuration notes.
Interrupt/kill by process-group
- The launch/kill mechanism for alfred Cmd's has changed subtly
to allow more thorough sub-process shutdowns when an alfred
job is interrupted (i.e. when the job is deleted before completion
or when a NIMBY-interrupt or task retract occur).
- Previously, some indirectly launched applications were not being
killed when a job was interrupted. For example, the "render" shell
script launches the "prman" binary; killing the shell process, with
kill(1), doesn't always kill the prman process.
- The new launch procedure sets the sub-process session-id to its
own pid using setsid(2); then the kill signals are sent to the entire
process group, using kill(2). See the
scripting document for
more information on the launching and tracking procedures.
- Added single-step up/down controls for the job queue
- User-preferences in the alfred.ini file can now be "locked"
- invocations via links to the alfred executable now work
properly. In addition, if the link is named "nimby" or "maitre_d"
then those modes are set as if "alfred -nimby" or "alfred -maitre_d"
had been invoked.
- The maitre-d now reports (in its log) version differences between
itself and connecting clients (dispatchers or nimbies).
- invocation as root is now disallowed, except for nimby mode.
- a parsing bug in the Cmd -refersto option has been fixed.
Pixar Animation Studios
(510) 752-3000 (voice)
(510) 752-3151 (fax)
Copyright © 2000 Pixar. All rights reserved.
RenderMan® is a registered trademark of Pixar.